Married to Duygu Yardımcı with a daughter Işıl Mavi and a son Kemal Ensar
Dr. Okan Yardımcı earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering in 2004, Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in 2008, Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree in 2015. He holds a doctoral degree on finance. He is experienced in energy market, economics of regulation, antitrust, tariff applications, Turkish energy market, oil, natural gas, energy geopolitics, power market, energy exchanges, arbitration, mediation, negotiation, energy contracts and energy law. He has worked as a reservoir engineer in an international oil company before his position in the National Energy Agency of Turkey. He has been working for the Energy Market Regulatory Authority since 2006. He has given lectures in several institutions, such as Energy Regulators Regional Association in Budapest, universities and participated in many conferences all over the world. He publishes his articles and other related materials on the web at www.enerjiuzmani.blogspot.com
Areas of Interest:
Energy, economics of regulation, antitrust, tariff applications, Turkish energy market, oil and natural gas, global energy markets, shale gas, oil shale, LNG, reservoir engineering, geothermal energy, energy geopolitics, power market, energy exchanges, European gas and electricity markets, US energy market, renewable energy, arbitration, mediation, negotiation, energy contracts, international business transactions, energy law, international law, economy of law, finance, econometrics, oil and natural gas prices, effective presentation techniques, leadership, recent political history of Turkey.
OKAN YARDIMCI, Ph.D.
Name of the School
Ankara Atatürk Anatolia High School
1992 - 1999
High School Diploma
Middle East Technical University
1999 - 2004
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering
2004 - 2008
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI, USA
July 2008 – September 2008
Economics of Regulation
Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA, USA
2014 - 2015
Master of Law
(Energy & International Law)
2010 - 2016
Business Administration (Finance)
Ph.D. dissertation on “Effectiveness of Regulation: An Investigation of the Turkish Natural Gas Distribution Sector”
(Advisor: Prof. Dr. Mehmet Baha KARAN)
Name of the Company/Institution
Position(s) and Working Areas
(National Oil and Gas Company of Turkey)
June 2002 – September 2002
Operation/field experience, production, well completion, drilling
(Independent Anglo-French Oil and Gas Company, Headquarters in London and Paris)
July 2003 – September 2003
Operation/field experience, production, well completion
(Independent Anglo-French Oil and Gas Company, Headquarters in London and Paris)
Ankara and Diyarbakir, Turkey
2004 - 2006
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineer (Reservoir)
Economics of operations, field development projects (volumetric calculations, generating the drainage area maps, identifying the new well locations, risk analysis, expectations), workover operations (petrophysical analysis, defining pay zones and perforation intervals, workover proposals, supervising the service companies (Schlumberger, TPAO), programming and witnessing the operations such as logging, perforating, acidizing), OFM software database and applications (bubble map, decline curve analysis), water injection & enhanced oil recovery studies, pump design (SubPump software)
Energy Market Regulatory Authority
(National Energy Regulatory Authority of Turkey)
2006 – Cont.
Energy Expert (2010 – Present),
Assistant Energy Expert (2006 – 2010)
Preparing secondary legal framework of Turkish energy sector, tariff applications (distribution, transmission and storage tariffs, WACC calculations, incentive based regulation implementations), natural gas market, transmission and storage codes, electricity market, Turkish energy exchange (EXIST), customer satisfaction,
monitoring the oil prices, profits, market shares, tariff regulation in some circumstances
Expertise dissertation on “The Effect of Oil Prices on Natural Gas Prices and Suggestions for Turkey”
(Advisor: Prof. Dr. Volkan S. EDIGER)
Turkish (native language)
Russian and French (basic)
Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
Many different computer programs (both computer and web-based).
Comfortable with the technology and with learning new programs.
Books, Published and Unpublished Articles, Reports and Dissertations (Selected):
Dissertation (Ph.D.): Yardımcı, O., Effectiveness ofRegulation: An Investigation of the Turkish Natural Gas Distribution Sector, June 2016.
Chapter in Book: Yardımcı, O., M.B. Karan. Energy Technology and Valuation Issues, Chapter 9: Efficiency and Service Quality Analyses of the Natural Gas Distribution Companies: A Case Study of Turkey, Springer, 2015.
Order by Amazon
Order by Springer
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. ABD Başkan Adayları ve Adayların Enerji Planları (US Presidential Candidates and Energy Plans), November 2015.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. Türkiye'de Petrol Var mı?(Turkey'sOil Potential?), August 2015.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. Energy Cooperation in theHistory of Turkish-Russian Relations, July 2015.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. Petrolün Tarihçesi: ABD Petrol Endüstrisinin Doğum Yerinden Gezi Notlarım (History of oil: my tripnotes from the birthplace of the USA oil industry), July 2015.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. İran Nükleer Müzakerelerinde Sona Yaklaşılırken Dikkat Çeken Detaylar (Analysis: Iran Nuke Deal), June 2015.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. Oil-Gas Prices and ProminentU.S. Figures, April 2015.
Technical Report: Yardımcı, O., Özelleştirme Sürecinde İGDAŞ:Hukuki-İktisadi ve Stratejik Boyutlar (a study on the Istanbul's gas gridprivatization), Enerji Piyasaları ve Politikaları Enstitüsü (Institute for Energy Markets and Policies), February 2015.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O. Ucuz LNG ABD’den Türkiye’yeUlaşır mı? (LNG trade opportunities between USA and Turkey), November 2014.
Article: Yardımcı, O. İki Bin 13 Öncesi Doğalgaz Piyasası DepolamaFaaliyetleri (Natural Gas Storage Market Before Two Thousand 13), Enerji Piyasası Bülteni (Energy Market Bulletin), ISSN 1308-8262, No: 24, Page: 35-38, December 2012.
Article: Yardımcı, O. Başkentgaz İçin Tokmak İnmiyor! Ne YapmakLazım (BASKENTGAZ Privatization Can’t Come to an End! What Should We Do?), Enerji Piyasası Bülteni (Energy Market Bulletin), ISSN 1308-8262, No: 20, Page: 31-41, April 2012.
Article: Kandemir C., O. Yardımcı. Düzenlenen Piyasalarda Düzenleyici Hesap Standartlarının Önemi, Örnek Olay İncelemesi (The Importance of Account Standards for Regulated Markets: A Case Study), Enerji Piyasası Bülteni (Energy Market Bulletin), ISSN 1308-8262, No: 19, Page: 33-37, February 2012.
Article: O. Yardımcı. Türkiye Doğal Gaz Piyasası: Geçmiş 25 Yıl, Gelecek 25 Yıl (Turkey NaturalGas Market: Past 25 Years, Coming 25 Years),, Ekonomi Bilimleri Dergisi (Journal of Economical Science), ISSN 1309-8020, No: 2(3), Page: 157-166, 2011.
Article: Günaydın E.B., O. Yardımcı. Güncel Gelişmeler Işığında Türkiye Doğal Gaz Piyasası Tarife Uygulamaları ve Yatırım Ortamının Değerlendirilmesi (Tariff Implementations in Turkey’s Natural Gas Market in the Light of CurrentDevelopments and the Evaluation of the Investment Environment), Doğal Gaz Dergisi (Journal of Natural Gas), ISSN 1305-2055, No: 164, Page: 74-77, July-August 2011.
Article: Günaydın E.B., O. Yardımcı. Güncel Gelişmeler IşığındaTürkiye Doğal Gaz Piyasası Tarife Uygulamaları ve Yatırım Ortamının Değerlendirilmesi (Tariff Implementations in Turkey’s Natural Gas Market in theLight of Current Developments and the Evaluation of the Investment Environment), 17th International Energy & Environment Fair and Conference (ICCI) Book, Page: 235-241, June 2011.
Article: Yardımcı, O. Doğal Gaz İletim Tarifelerinde Yeni Dönem (New Period in Natural Gas Transmission Tariff), Enerji Piyasası Bülteni (Energy Market Bulletin), ISSN 1308-8262, No: 13-14, Page: 27-31, February-April 2011.
Article: Yardımcı, O., Ediger, V.Ş., Petrol Fiyatlarının Doğal Gaz Fiyatları Üzerindeki Etkisi: Türkiye İçin Fırsatlar ve Tehditler (The Effect of Oil Prices on Natural Gas Prices: Opportunities and Treats for Turkey), Doğal Gaz Dergisi (Journal of Natural Gas), ISSN 1305-2055, No: 162, Page: 60-65, April 2011.
Article: Yardımcı, O., Ediger, V.Ş., Petrol Fiyatlarının Doğal Gaz Fiyatları Üzerindeki Etkisi: Türkiye İçin Fırsatlar ve Tehditler (The Effect of Oil Prices on Natural Gas Prices: Opportunities and Treats for Turkey), 16th International Energy & Environment Fair and Conference (ICCI) Book, Page: 221-225, May 2010.
Dissertation: Yardımcı, O., Petrol Fiyatlarının Doğal Gaz Fiyatları Üzerindeki Etkisi ve Türkiye İçin Öneriler (The Effect of Oil Priceson Natural Gas Prices and Suggestions for Turkey), Expertise Dissertation of Energy Market Regulatory Authority, February 2010.
Article: Yardımcı, O., Doğal Gaz Piyasasında Abone Bağlantı Bedeli (Connection Fee in Natural Gas Market), Enerji Piyasası Bülteni (Energy Market Bulletin), ISSN 1308-8262, No: 6, Page: 16-18, August 2009.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O., Geothermal Energy – Denizli Kizildere Geothermal Field,
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O., Causes and Effects of “Green House” Conditions on the Earth Surface, March 2009.
Unpublished Article: Yardımcı, O., Oil and Natural Gas, February 2009.
Other studies/figures on;
- * The Weighted Cost of Capital (WACC) for the Turkish Regulated Energy Markets,
- * Russia - Turkey Gas Flow,
- * Prices in European Power Markets in the Past Year,
- * Turkey's Natural Gas Market 2015 ,
- * Renewable Energy Support Mechanism in Turkey,
- * List of Countries by Energy Consumption,
- * Turkish Natural Gas Distribution Tariff ,
- * Turkish Solar Market - Licence Auctions,
- * What Means Iran's Return to Oil and Natural Gas Market?
- * Turkey Natural Gas Prices,
- * Balancing Gas Price of Turkey,
- * Natural Gas Transmission Tariffs of Turkey,
- * Price Formation of Turkish Natural Gas Market,
- * Natural Gas Consumption Figures of Turkey,
- * Turkey Natural Gas Supply,
- * Turkey Crude Oil Import,
- * Natural Gas Connection Tariffs,
- * Polls
can be found at this blogsite!
Other Relevant Information:
Dissertations Supervised by Dr. YARDIMCI
- Ümit AYGÜN, Expertise Dissertation of Energy Market Regulatory Authority, Natural Gas Hub in Turkey (cont.)
- Canan KANDEMİR, Expertise Dissertation of Energy Market Regulatory Authority, Regulatory Accounting System for the Natural Gas Distribution Companies, April 2012.
- İsa Ömer IŞIKDOĞAN, Expertise Dissertation of Energy Market Regulatory Authority, Service Quality of the Electricity Distribution Companies and the Effects on the Tariffs, April 2012.
Lectures Instructed by Dr. YARDIMCI (Selected)
- Institute for Energy Markets and Policies, Economics of Regulation, July, 2016, Izmir, Turkey.
- Union of Turkish Bar Associations, Turkey Energy Market Training for the Lawyers, May 2013, Ankara, Turkey.
- Euroforum, Energy Market Trading and Risk Management, Natural Gas Value Chain from Source to Market, February 2013, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Society of Energy Professionals, Natural Gas Market Access and Trade Training Programme, Tariff, November 2012, Ankara, Turkey.
- The Energy Regulators Regional Association (ERRA), Advanced Training Course: Price Regulation & Tariffs, Coordinator of the Case Study: Price Regulation of the Natural Gas Sector in Turkey, Budapest, Hungary, February 2012, March 2013.
- Instructor of EMRA Job Promotion Courses, 2010-2011, Ankara, Turkey.
- Izmir University of Economics, Workshop Program, 2010, Izmir, Turkey.
Academic Contributions (Selected)
- Reviewer of Energy Policy, an international journal of the political, economic, planning, environmental and social aspects of energy, +10 Reviews
- Editor of Petrobülten, a journal of the Chamber of Petroleum Engineers
Conference & Panel Speeches (Selected)
- Invited as a Panel Speaker: Small-Mid Scale LNG Summit, Panel Session “Opportunities for LNG in Turkey: Current Supply Chain. Current Supply Structure. Drivers for the Developing Market in LNG. Obstacles and Projections for the Future of Smaller Scale LNG", 20 - 22 October 2014, Houston, Texas, USA.
- Invited as a Conference Speaker: Azerbaijan and Caspian Sea Oil & Gas Week 2013, Turkey Oil and Gas Market, 11-13 November 2013, Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Invited as a Panel Speaker: IV International Black Sea Economic Forum, Panel Session "An Outlook for Gas Supply in the Black Sea Region by 2020. Will Russia Remain the Key Regional Gas Supplier? The Bosphorus: the Window of Opportunities or Closed Doors for the Liquefied Natural Gas? When to Expect the Advent of Shale and Tight Gas?”, October 2013, Crimea, Ukraine.
- Invited as a Panel Speaker: Global Gas Opportunities Summit, Regulatory Panel Discussion "Developments in the Gas Industry Worldwide”, October 2013, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Invited as a Conference Speaker: Small-Mid Scale LNG Summit, Small-Mid Scale Networks: An Exploration of Applicability in the Turkish Market, June 2013, Amsterdam, Netherland.
- 8th Annual Silk Road Conference, Panel Discussion, Turkey: A Rapidly Expanding Energy Hub, May 2013, Chicago, USA.
- 4th Multinational Energy and Value Conference, Efficiency and Service Quality Analysis of the Turkish Natural Gas Distribution Companies, May 2013, Chicago, USA.
- Invited as a Conference Speaker: CIS Oil and Gas Transportation 14th Annual Meeting, LNG Revolution & The Role of Turkey, October 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Invited as a Conference Speaker: Small Scale LNG Forum, Turkish LNG Market: Regulation for Promotion?, October 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Invited as a Speaker: Society of Energy Professionals – Energy Talks, Turkey Natural Gas Market Tariff Applications, October 2012, Ankara, Turkey.
- Invited as a Conference Speaker: 5th Annual Balkan Energy and Finance Forum, The Effects of Recent Developments in the LNG Market on the Relationship Between Oil and Natural Gas Prices, June 2012, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Invited as a Conference Speaker: International Congress on Energy and Politics, Tariff Applications, April 2012, Antalya, Turkey.
- European Gas Conference, The Relationship Between Oil and Natural Gas Prices, LNG Role and the Impact on the European Market, 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Management and Economy Science Conference, 2011, Izmir, Turkey.
- 17th International Energy & Environment Fair and Conference, 2011, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 16th International Energy & Environment Fair and Conference, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Invited as a Speaker: METU Society of Petroleum Engineering, Graduation Dialogue, 2008, Ankara, Turkey.
News Article @ Natural Gas World: Energy Cooperation in the History of Turkish-Russian Relations, July 2015.
News Article @ Enerji Enstitüsü: Hidrolik Çatlatma Yöntemine Yönelik Olarak ABD'de Getirilen Yeni Düzenlemeler (Recent U.S. Regulations Regarding to the Hydraulic Fracturing), March 2015.
News Article @ Enerji Enstitüsü: Yemen’de Yaşanan Gelişmeler, March 2015.
News Article @ Enerji Panorama, TENVA: Doğalgaz Dağıtım Şirketlerinde Verimlilik ve Hizmet Kalitesi İlişkisi, September 2014.
Interview @ Enerji IQ: EPDK'dan Doğalgaz Dağıtım Şirketlerine Yönelik Tarife Revizyonu Kararı, 14 August 2014.
News Article @ EPPEN: Doğalgaz Dağıtım Şirketlerinin Tarifelerinde Revizyon Düzenlemesi, August 2014.
Interview @ E-World: April 2014.
Interview @ Enerji IQ: Doğalgaz Dağıtım İhaleleri Dağıtım Bedellerinde İndirim İmkanı Sağladı, 22 November 2013.
Interview @ Global Energy Profs: On the Job Interview, October 2013.
TV Interview @ the National Public Broadcaster of Turkey, TRT, October 2013.
News Article @ Platts: Turkish Gas Consumption to Reach 47.6 Billion cu m/yr This Year, 1 October 2013.
News Article @ Natural Gas World: "Crazy Project" Can Accelerate The LNG Revolution, November 2012.
News Article @ Gas Strategies: New Storage Facilities Vital to Turkey’s Energy Aspirations, October 2012.
Courses & Trainings Attended (Selected)
- International Energy Agency (IEA) Training, Energy Essentials for Decision Makers, 08 - 12 April 2013, Paris, France.
- IEA, Energy Security Introductory Course, 04 - 05 April 2013, Paris, France.
- Ankara University, Energy Diplomacy Certificate Program, February 2012, Ankara, Turkey.
- ERRA, Advanced Training Course: Price Regulation & Tariffs, 02 – 05 November 2010, Budapest, Hungary.
- Accounting Course, 19-20 July 2008, Istanbul, Turkey.
- ERRA, E-learning Course on Price Regulation and Tariffs, February 2007 – April 2007.
- General Electric Day (attended as a university representative), April 2004, Istanbul, Turkey.
- SPE Student Chapter Training, (attended as a president of the SPE Turkey student chapter), 2003, Torino, Italy.
Pennsylvania State University Law School (LL.M.)
· U.S. Legal Systems (LLMLW 900)
· Energy, International Security, and the Global Economy (INTER 997B)
· International Litigation and Arbitration (INTER 966)
· Law and Policy of Shale Gas Development (RP&EL 997A)
· Economic Analysis of Law (PERSP 982)
· International Business Transactions (CCLAW 971)
· Energy Law & Policy - National and International (PERSP 952)
· Global Finance for the Earth, Energy, and Materials Industries (EBF 301)
· Contracts (CORE 905)
· Foreign Investment in Russia and the CIS (INTER 954)
· Media's Impact on National Security Policy & Law and International Affairs (PERSP 997E)
· Ethical Issues in Human Dimensions of Natural Resources and the Environment (HDNRE 575)
Hacettepe University (Ph.D.)
· Finance Theories (MAN 713)
· Capital Market Law and Accounting Practices (MAN 721)
· Applied Financial Research (MAN 718)
· Organization and Managerial Behavior (MAN 703)
· Econometrics (MAN 716)
· Financial Reporting Analysis (MAN 720)
· Managerial Leadership (MAN 710)
· Marketing Strategy Management (MAN 730)
Michigan State University (Executive Prog.)
· Public Utilities (ENERGY)
Atilim University (MBA)
· Ekonomi Teorisi (ECON 501)
· Muhasebe (MGMT 503)
· İnsan Kaynakları Yönetimi (MGMT 508)
· Finansal Yönetim (MGMT 504)
Middle East Technical University (B.Sc.)
· Calculus (MATH 157-158)
· Engineering Graphics (ME 101)
· C Programming (CENG 230)
· Thermodynamics (CHE 204)
· Principles of Economics (ECON 210)
· Reservoir Rock and Fluid Properties (PETE 216)
· Differential Equations (MATH 255)
· Selective: French 1-2-Intermediate (FREN 201-202-203)
· Engineering Mechanics (ES 221)
· General Geology (GEOE 201)
· Fluid Mechanics (PETE 211)
· Drilling Engineering (PETE 321-322)
· Petroleum Production Engineering (PETE 331)
· Petroleum Geology (GEOE 410)
· Petroleum Reservoir Engineering (PETE 342-441)
· Well Logging (PETE 352)
· Advanced Communication Skills (ENG 311)
· World Economy (ECON 480)
· Petroleum Property Valuation (PETE 411)
· Production Optimization by Nodal System Analysis (PETE 432)
· Enhanced Oil Recovery Methods (PETE 443)
· Geothermal Reservoir Engineering (PETE 450)
· Natural Gas Engineering (PETE 461)
· Strength of Materials (ES 224)
· Statistical Methods for Engineers (ES 303)
· Petroleum Engineering Design (PETE 446)
· Mathematical Modelling for Hydrocarbon Reservoirs (PETE 444)
· Underground Gas Storage (PETE 462)
· Numerical Methods (ME 310)
Membership of Professional Bodies
Member of Middle East Technical University Alumni Association (Cont.)
Board Member of Petroleum Engineering Club, Turkey (Cont.)
Member of Energy Experts Society, Turkey (Cont.)
Board Member of Energy Experts Society, Turkey (2010 – 2012)
President of Society of Petroleum Engineering (SPE), METU Student Chapter (2003 – 2004)
Honors and Awards
Championship award, METU moot tournament (2004)
Championship award, METU moot tournament (2004)
Work Address : EPDK, Muhsin Yazicioglu Cd. No:51/C Yuzuncuyil, Ankara/Turkey
Phone : GSM (TR) +90 532 798 85 50
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Twitter : @OkanYardimci
Linkedin : Okan Yardimci